Sissy M. Jhiang, Ph.D.
210 Hamilton Hall
1645 Neil Avenue
Columbus OH 43210-1218
Ph.D., Zoology, University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX
Honors and Awards:
2002 American Thyroid Association Van Meter Award
2005 Elected American Association for the Advancement of Science Fellow in Medicine
· DHY Shen, DK Marsee, J Schaap, W Yang, J-Y Cho, G Hinkle, HN Nagaraja, RT Kloos, RF Barth, and SM Jhiang (2004) “Effects of dose, intervention time, and radionuclide on sodium iodide symporter (NIS) targeted radionuclide therapy”, Gene Therapy. 11:161-169.
· DK Marsee, DHY Shen, LR MacDonald, DD Vadysirisack, X Lin, G Hinkle, RT Kloos, SM Jhiang (2004) “Imaging of Pulmonary Tumors Following NIS Gene Transfer Using Single Photon Emission Computed Tomography”, Cancer Gene Therapy. 11:121-127.
· Lin X, Ryu KY, Jhiang SM (2004) “Cloning of the 5'-flanking region of mouse sodium/iodide symporter and identification of a thyroid-specific and TSH-responsive enhancer”, Thyroid 14:19-27.
· Burns JA, Morgenstern KE, Cahill KV, Foster JA, Jhiang SM, Kloos RT (2004) “Nasolacrimal obstruction secondary to I(131) therapy”, Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 20:126-9.
· Lin X, Fischer AH, Ryu KY, Cho JY, Sferra TJ, Kloos RT, Mazzaferri EL, Jhiang SM (2004) “Application of the Cre/loxP system to enhance thyroid-targeted expression of sodium/iodide symporter”, J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 89:2344-50.
· Marsee DK, Venkateswaran A, Tao H, Vadysirisack D, Zhang Z, Vandre DD, Jhiang SM (2004) “Inhibition of heat shock protein 90, a novel RET/PTC1-associated protein, increases radioiodide accumulation in thyroid cells”, J Biol Chem. 279:43990-7.
· Aldred MA, Huang Y, Liyanarachchi S, Pellegata NS, Gimm O, Jhiang S, Davuluri RV, de la Chapelle A, Eng C (2004) “Papillary and follicular thyroid carcinomas show distinctly different microarray expression profiles and can be distinguished by a minimum of five genes”, J Clin Oncol. 22:3531-9.
· Miyagi E, Braga-Basaria M, Hardy E, Vasko V, Burman KD, Jhiang S, Saji M, Ringel MD(2004) “Chronic expression of RET/PTC 3 enhances basal and insulin-stimulated PI3 kinase/AKT signaling and increases IRS-2 expression in FRTL-5 thyroid cells”, Mol Carcinog. 41:98-107.
· Knostman KA, Cho JY, Ryu KY, Lin X, McCubrey JA, Hla T, Liu CH, Di Carlo E, Keri R, Zhang M, Hwang DY, Kisseberth WC, Capen CC, Jhiang SM (2004) “Signaling through 3',5'-cyclic adenosine monophosphate and phosphoinositide-3 kinase induces sodium/iodide symporter expression in breast cancer”, J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 89:5196-203.
· Venkateswaran A, Marsee DK, Green SH, Jhiang SM (2004) “Forskolin, 8-Br-3',5'-cyclic adenosine 5'-monophosphate, and catalytic protein kinase A expression in the nucleus increase radioiodide uptake and sodium/iodide symporter protein levels in RET/PTC1-expressing cells”, J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 89:6168-72.
· Morgenstern KE, Vadysirisack DD, Zhang Z, Cahill KV, Foster JA, Burns JA, Kloos RT, Jhiang SM. (2005) Implication for the Mechanism Underlying Nasolacrimal Duct Obstruction in I131-Treated Patients. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2005 Sep;21(5):337-344.
· Marsee DK, Vadysirisack DD, Morrison CD, Prasad ML, Eng C, Duh Q-Y, Rauen KA, Kloos RT, Jhiang SM (2005) “Variable Expression of Coxsackie-Adenovirus Receptor in Thyroid Tumors: Implications for Adenoviral Gene Therapy” Thyroid 15: 977-87.
· Zhang Z, Liu YY, Jhiang SM (2005) “Surface targeting accounts for difference in iodide uptake activity between human and rat Na+/I- symporter”, J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90: 6131-40.
· Vadysirisack DD, Shen DH, Jhiang SM (2006) “Correlation of Na+/I- Symporter Expression and Activity: Implication of Na+/I- Symporter as an Imaging Reporter Gene” J Nuclear Med. 47:182-190.
· Sarquis MS, Weber F, Shen L, Broelsch CE, Jhiang SM, Zedenius J, Frilling A, Eng C. (2006) “High frequency of loss-of-heterozygosity in imprinted compared to non-imprinted genomic regions in follicular thyroid carcinomas and atypical adenomas”, J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91:262-9.
· Jeong, Y., Jayanth, GR., Jhiang, S., and Menq, C. H., 2006, "Direct tip-sample interaction force control for the dynamic mode atomic force microscopy", Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 88, Issue 20, May, 2006.
· Knostman KA, Jhiang SM, Capen CC. (2007), “Genetic alterations in thyroid cancer: the role of mouse models”, Vet. Pathol. 44:1-14.
· Vadysirisack DD, Venkateswaran A, Zhang Z, Jhiang SM. (2007), “MEK Signaling Modulates Sodium Iodide Symporter at Multiple Levels and in a Paradoxical Manner”, Endocrine Related Cancer, 14:421-32.
· Knostman KA, McCubrey JA, Morrison CD, Zhang Z, Capen CC, Jhiang SM (2007), “PI3K Activation is Associated with Intracellular Sodium/Iodide Symporter Protein Expression in Breast Cancer”, BMC Cancer 7:137-146.
· Vadysirisack DD, Chen ES, Zhang Z, Tsai MD, Chang GD, Jhiang SM (2007). ”Identification of in vivo phosphorylation sites and their functional significance on sodium iodide symporter”. J Biol Chem. 2007 282: 36820-8.
· Knostman KA, Venkateswaran A, Zimmerman B, Capen CC, Jhiang SM. (2007) Creation and Characterization of a Doxycycline-Inducible Mouse Model of “Thyroid-Targeted RET/PTC1 Oncogene and Luciferase Reporter Gene Coexpression”. Thyroid, 17:1181-8.
View video "Visually guided motion control system" Download a copy of Windows Media Player to view.
Current grant support:
Selected Recent Additional Professional Activities:
|1998 - present
||Editorial Board, Thyroid
|1999 - 2001
||Co-Director, MD/PhD Training Program, The Ohio State University
|2001 - 2004
||Editorial Board, Endocrinology
|2001 - 2004
||Member, Ednocrinology Study Section, NIH
|2004 - 2005
||Member, Cancer Molecular Pathobiology Study Section, NIH
|2004 - present
||Faculty, F1000 Medicine
|2007 - 2008
||Co-chair for program committee, the 79th Annual meeting for American Thyroid Association, Chicago, 2008
||Member, NIH study section for "In Vivo Cellular and Molecular Imaging Centers"
||Ad Hoc Member, NIH Oncology Fellowship Study Section
||Ad Hoc Member, NIH Integrative and Clinical Endocrinology and Reproduction Study Section
· Regulatory mechanisms of Na+/I- symporter to improve radioioine therapy in patients with thyroid cancer
· Regulatory mechanisms of Na+/I- symporter to facilitate radionuclide imaging and targeted radionuclide therapy in patients with breast cancer
· Optimize parameters to facilitate Na+/I- symporter as an imaging reporter gene for real time monitoring of gene therapy and stem cell colonization
· Genetic-engineered mouse model to study Na+/I- symporter transcriptional regulation in vivo
Active Funding as Principal Investigator
· NIH, 1R01CA125481-01A1I, “RET/PTC Mediated Thyroid Tumorigenesis and NIS Modulation”, for 7/1/07 to 4/30/12
· NIH, 1S10RR019252-01A2, “X-SPECT TM for Functional & Anatomic Imaging In Vivo”, total direct cost $349,900 (with additional matching funds of $150,000) for 3/1/06 to 2/28/07.
· NIH, NIBIB RFA R01, “Sodium Iodide Symporter as an Imaging Reporter Gene”, total direct cost $1,659,375 for 09/30/03 -8/30/08.
Active Funding as Co-Investigator
· NSF BES-0619472, "MRI: Development of a photonic force microscopic system for visualization and manipulation of biological structures and systems", total cost $464,458 for 10/01/2006 to 09/30/2009 Co-PI. (Menq:PI)
· NIH T32 CA09338, Oncology Training Grant, PI: M Caligiuri
· NIH T32 DE14320, Comprehensive training in oral and craniofacial sciences PI: Philip Marucha.
· NIH T32 RR07073, Mouse Pathobiology: Models of human disease. PI: Tomas Rosol
· NIH T32, Cancer Genetics, PI: Albert de la Chapelle
· NIH T32, IBGP, PI: Allan Yates